Notify your move
You need to notify the municipality of your new address when you move to a new place. You should provide your new address within the period of 4 weeks before and 5 days after your moving date. This is important for things like housing allowance or other mail from government agencies.
If you are going to live with someone else, you will need a signed declaration of cohabitation and a copy of the main resident's identification document. This is the person with whom you will be living.
If you are moving from abroad (back) to the Netherlands, or if you have been living in the Netherlands for at least 4 months within a 6-month period, please read how to register in the Netherlands.
Living with someone else
You inform us of your move digitally. You will need one of these documents:
- A written statement from the main occupant if you are going to live with someone. Make sure that the main occupant has signed this statement. You also send a copy of the passport or identity card of the main occupant.
- A written statement from the manager of the holiday home where you will be living. Make sure that the administrator has signed this statement. If you move to a holiday home, you must bear in mind that you are not allowed to live permanently (longer than 3 months) in a holiday home in the municipality of Altena.
Please enclose one of these documents. This can be done in PDF format, but you can also attach a clear photo.
Is it not possible for you to report your move digitally? Then make an appointment.
Who can report the move?
- You can report your own move if you are 16 years or older. Are you married or do you have a registered partnership and are you moving house together? Then you may also report the move on behalf of your partner.
- You can also report the move of children who live with you and move with you. Or from parents who live with you and move with you.
Penalty for incorrect information
It is mandatory to fill in your relocation declaration truthfully. Providing incorrect data is a violation. This is stated in the Basic Registration of Persons Act, Article 4.17. If you provide incorrect information on purpose, you can receive an administrative fine of up to € 325.
- Your old municipality will automatically hear that you have moved to Altena. You don't have to do anything for that yourself.
- We pass on your move to most government agencies. For example, to the Tax and Customs Administration, DUO, the Social Insurance Bank and pension funds.
- Do you not want the municipality to pass on your data to other authorities? Then you can request confidentiality.
- Don't have your own address? Or do you reside in an institution? Then you can probably request a postal address.
- Are people registered at your address who no longer live there, or do you receive mail from former residents? Then you can ask the municipality to start an address investigation.